Tuesday, June 28, 2011

He makes me a better person - every day

Why start yet another blog about an autistic child ?? Why should anyone read this and why should I  plonk away at my keyboard past midnight when the world sleeps?

Couple of reasons

  1. Because it matters. Based on the experiences of last 7 years, the learning on how to observe and deal with autism is mostly experiential for me. If I share, the hope is there that so will others on this blog and it will benefit us all.
  2. Next - Exploring The 'Indian' factor. I am realizing that there is always some influence of our social and cultural backgrounds that goes into what we do to take care and deal with children - including autistic children. And there are many,many good traits that are a part of Indian social ethos that are of enormous help to us dads and moms as we grapple with this enormous challenge.  Not to sound regional here - but based on my numerous interactions with other dads and moms from my country who are bringing up autistic kids - I am convinced that there is a large part of our "Indian" nature, social patterns and attitude that shapes our responses on dealing with autistic children.  Not all traits are praiseworthy -  Over prevalence of sympathy (specially from Dad) Negotiation within onself and long periods of soul searching on "why this happened". Issues in communicating to relatives and often a lack of understanding on their part.
  3. When Aditya was first diagnosed with autism 7 years back, his neuro dev pediatrician had told me and Sanjukta - you will both have to change as well -  adjust to deal with him while in HIS world.    Day after day, I realize the weight of his words. In 7 years, Adi has been able to step into my world and now  understands most of what is being said to him. But how much of his world, his feelings, his thoughts, his aspirations, his fears, his laugher - do I understand? 
    I am trying. And I know this - as I try to step into his portal, I find myself       becoming more tolerant, more open minded, more respectful of diversity and more aware that my view of life may be the common one but NOT the only one. He makes me a better person every day. And I want to share that - how my son infliences me positively !


Aditya is now 9. He is tall and well built for his age. I remember while growing up as a teenager, I was a little conscious of my thin arms and rib cage outline showing whenever I took over my shirt. No such issues here. He is well within the autism spectrum and lives with his parents and sister Trisha in US. Mosly non verbal. Amazingly perceptive of emotions and what is being communicated. Quick learner. Avid swimmer. And full of life. My brave boy.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joydip, I am Punya. I am working with a New Delhi based holistic wellness magazine - Life Positive. I came across your blog as part of my research for an article I am writing on the topic of 'parenting special needs kids'. I wish to incorporate some of your experience that you have shared here, in my article. Can you please share your email id with me, so that I could contact you?

    ReplyDelete